Grits are not just for breakfast anymore. This delicious golden pan of goodness is easy to prepare and can be done hours ahead of time and then baked just before your meal. With a combination of cheeses and heat you can turn the ordinary breakfast item into an extraordinary delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with a steak. For your next dinner, toss out the usual starch like potatoes and rice and opt for a new and fun twist on grits. Your family will thank you!
- 1 3/4 cup quick cooking grits, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 stick melted, unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large or 2 small jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 tsp jalapeno juice (from a jar of jalapenos)
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper each
- Bring broth to a boil in a large dutch oven. Stir in grits and butter. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally until the liquid is evaporated. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes. Meanwhile, saute the onions and garlic in butter in a skillet for 5-7 minutes. Add in the cheeses, chopped jalapenos, jalapeno juice and grits. Combine and stir in the beaten eggs, salt and pepper.Pour in a lightly greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set.
Turn an ordinary breakfast item into an extraordinary delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with a steak with our baked jalapeno cheese grits recipe.